The following story was reported by wpbf.com and WPBF News from Fort Pierce, Fla. Accurate Controls was contractor referred to in the story:
Visitors will be allowed back at St. Lucie County Jail ahead of schedule
Electrical surge destroyed video visitation system
FORT PIERCE, Fla. -Visitors will soon be allowed back to the St. Lucie County Jail.
Sheriff Ken Mascara announced Thursday that the new video visitation system will be operational Friday, a month earlier than anticipated.
“When an electrical power surge destroyed our previous video visitation system earlier this month, it appeared that it would take until late August to replace it with a new, modern system that we already had ordered,” Mascara said. “The mobilization of human and technical resources by the contractor and subcontractors has made it possible to start up the new system a month early.”
Mascara said he felt it was important to get the visitation system working again as soon as possible, which is why he asked the companies installing the new system “to devote additional resources to the project to speed up the completion date.”
“They all pledged to do whatever it takes to get the system up and running as soon as possible,” Mascara said.
The $750,000 new video visitation system was paid for with federal money and not from local taxpayers, Mascara said.
The story and report can be viewed online at: http://www.wpbf.com/news/south-florida/treasure-coast/Visitors-will-be-allowed-back-at-St-Lucie-County-Jail-ahead-of-schedule/-/8882916/15608714/-/q7gn4/-/index.html#ixzz22KGktCN4